Sometimes it can feel as though there is little we can do as individuals to help the world around us. However, it is important to remember that though we may not be able to enact large scale changes, we always have the ability to change our own communities! Here are some educational tools that you can use as methods for changing your world.
1. Find a local problem you feel strongly about.
2. Talk to your local councillor and see if they can fix it
3. If not, start a facebook page or group
4. Write a petition – bring it with you everywhere and use it to
spread the word. Make sure you record people’s email addresses.
These can be used to create a group.
5. Have a meeting and start a group – settle on a name, logo and
mission and vision. Ask attendees to contribute 10 or 20$ so you have
a small budget.
6. Go to Borough and City Council meetings and bring up your issue
7. Use facebook events and have a walk in your area or general
meeting to discuss the issue
8. Contact like minded groups in your area and get their support
9. Call or email local news and get them to interview you. You will
have better luck with smaller or University papers to start. Write an
opinion piece for your local newspaper. Keep a list of all journalists you
have met and keep a press list of all news pieces
10. Letter writing campaigns. A written letter is worth 100 emails and
a typed letter is worth 20 emails. Emails still count!